2 pounds lean ground beef
1 small finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced bell pepper (optional)
1 1/2 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers
4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar or Colby cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the topping:
1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Place to the side. This will be used later as the topping.
3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, crushed Ritz crackers, cheese, milk, onion, bell pepper, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
4. Add in the ground beef. Mix well just to combine. Do not over mix.
5. Form into a loaf and place inside a baking pan or baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and spread the topping over the meatloaf.
8. Bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the center is 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Let it cool for 15 minutes before serving.